Pages

Thursday, December 04, 2014

Coconut laddoo

When Nestle launched Milkmaid in India, they held a contest for school children in which we had to come up with innovative recipes using Milkmaid. What I still remember about the whole thing is how absolutely enticing the coconut laddoos that appeared in the TV commercials for Milkmaid looked. The mom and daughter duo who starred in the commercial made the whole dessert making process look so uncomplicated. I wanted to make these laddoos for the contest, but for some reason, ended up making carrot halwa. Nothing innovative about warm off the stove gajar ka halwa.....so no prizes for guessing how that contest turned out for me. Anyway, years later, I tried out the Milkmaid coconut laddoo and must say that when they said easy, they really did mean easy. Mix, heat, stir, shape - that's all there is to it.

What you need:
Coconut flakes - 5 cups (I used sweetened flakes that I bought off the shelf at Target)
Milkmaid /condensed milk - 1 tin

Set aside about 3/4th of a cup of coconut flakes.
In a large saucepan (preferably nonstick to save you the hassle of cleaning), mix the remaining coconut flakes and the condensed milk. Switch on the heat and stir until it comes together and starts leaving the sides of the pan. Let it cool a bit and then shape into balls with wet or oiled hands. Roll each ball over the coconut flakes that you've set aside so they get a nice coating of the flakes.
And as easy as that, you have an ooh-inducing dessert. Dig in.
This is my first post for Week 1 of Blogging Marathon # 46 under the theme Indian desserts.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 46

10 comments:

Harini R said...

Love those cuties..I know they are addictive!

Saras said...

These ladoos looks delicious and I can recall lot of childhood memories..

Chef Mireille said...

as a coconut fanatic, these are right up my alley

Priya Suresh said...

Coconut laddoos are my all time favourite..

Pavani said...

Wow, that is sure a very simple to make coconut laddoo. I've seen the commercials too, but didn't really believe they were going to be this easy. Thanks for sharing.

Srivalli said...

I remember the contest and remember making chocolate burfi..:)..have always wanted to try this, yet to do..your laddos look such a breeze!

veena said...

Such a simple ladoo but a very tasty one.

Kalyani said...

He he !! I remember the commercial too .. This has been on my to do list for a long time now ..

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Love the ladoos! I just love the juicy coconut.

vaishali sabnani said...

Even I had made these ladoos then and they surely taste awesome. Love ladoos anytime.