Pages

Thursday, December 04, 2014

Badam katli

I have never believed in pressurizing my child to study or to excel in everything or in fact, anything that she does. I have always believed that children will do well if they are allowed to do what they are interested in. In the process, if they discover that they excel at something, that is a bonus. The unfortunate side effect of my beliefs is that, not many people agree with me. I am constantly asked if I send my child to xyz class or abc class. When I smile and say no, I often get incredulous looks that tell me that I am crazy not to send her to a place that everyone sends their child to. Oh well, it takes all sorts to make the world go round and unless my daughter expressly tells me that she is interested in taking up some hobby/sport/class, I am not sending her to one.
With that off my chest, I can now share with you this recipe for badam katli that I tried making using a really small quantity of badam as I wasn't sure if the outcome would be good. It did turn out good and the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you are trying to make a larger quantity.

What you need :
Almond(Badam) - 1/2 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 3 tsp
Cardamom - 3 or 4 pods

Soak the almonds in hot water for an hour and then peel them. Grind the peeled almonds along with milk and cardamom to a smooth paste.
In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the almond mixture, sugar and ghee over a low flame until the mixture thickens and starts leaving the sides of the pan.
Quickly pour into a greased pan and smooth the top with a wet spatula.
When it is still warm, mark squares with a sharp knife. Cut when cool and store in an air tight container.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 46

11 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

My all time favourite katlis,i can have katlis even in midnite.

Harini R said...

Totally agree with your style of parenting :) And that badam katli looks too good to pass..

Sneha's Recipe said...

Lovely and tasty Badam katli.

Pavani said...

Jayashree, I think we have almost similar views on parenting. I don't want to compare my kid with anyone else and push them into doing things that they are not interested -- but I've seen so many parents doing that and I feel sorry for both the kids and the parents.
Your badam katlis look perfect -- delicious!!

Unknown said...

can happily munch on these katili!! and with parenting style - I agree with you...

Shreya at Jumbodium said...

Pressurizing the kids are not at all worthy I am completely against it. And about the Badam Katli's, they are in one word just awesome. One of my fav sweets. I have never tried making it out but surely will follow your recipe once.

Srivalli said...

Good to know there are other parents who like me, don't want to force their kids to run around..Katli looks yum!

veena said...

I Love badam Katli. Looks delicious

Kalyani said...

Good to know another parent shares my views :)) great looking Katlis !! I have a HUGE batch of almond meal (which is almost oily due to overgrindinf) .. Do u think I cud still make katlis out of it ??

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Kids or adults, unless they ant to take up something by their choice, it does not make sense to do something. I so agree with what you said! Love the badam katlis...

vaishali sabnani said...

The badaam.katli looks delicious. .could easily eat a few from the bowl.