Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Amritsari sookhi dal

To me, a dal that you eat with roti has always been a wet curry. Though I have heard of sookha dal, the concept was unimaginable to me. Until today, that is. When I chanced upon Sanjeev Kapoor's "Dal Roti", the picture of this dal tempted me enough to make me try it out at home. Now that I have made it, I can say that not only does it look good, it tastes quite hearty and good too.

What you need:
Split urad dal - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - a 3 inch piece, julienned
Oil - 3 tbsp
Asafoetida - a little
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Onion - 1, chopped fine
Green chilli - 2 or 3, minced
Tomato - 2, chopped
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 3/4 tsp
Corrinder leaves - to garnish,chopped
Amchur powder - 1 tsp (the original recipe calls for lemon juice)

Wash the dal well. Take it in a deep dish. Add 3 cups of water, salt, turmeric powder and half of the ginger. Let it come to a boil. Then reduce flame and simmer until just done.
While the dal is getting cooked, heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida and onions. Saute until onions turn pink. Add the remaining ginger, green chillies and tomato. Saute for a minute or two. Add red chilli powder and heat till oil separates.
Now drain all the excess water from the cooked dal and add it into the pan. Mix well. Add garam masala, salt if required, amchoor powder and corriander leaves. Mix well and heat for 2-3 minutes.
Enjoy!!!
Check out the blogging marathon page to see what my fellow marathoners are cooking.
This goes to Priya's bookmarked recipes event.

17 comments:

Aarthi said...

very healthy one

Vimitha Durai said...

That looks so spicy and yummy and perfect for rotis...

Harini said...

thats an interesting one!

Lifewithspices said...

wow this is a perfect curry will try it soon..

Shanavi said...

WOULD BE A GREAT FOR RICE /ROTI..LIKE TO HAVE AS SUCH NOW.

Unknown said...

looks yummy have to try this...

notyet100 said...

New for me ,thnks for sharing:)

Vardhini said...

New dal .. perfect for rotis.

Vardhini
Event: Fast food not Fat food

Indian Khana said...

Yum ..like this one with roti very much

Kalyani said...

love the combo - and am sure its perfect for rotis :)

Kalyani
New Event: Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
Ongoing Event : Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – all this July

jayasree said...

Hey, I have that book ~ Dal-Roti and have tried most of them. This is one of those which is to be tried. Seeing yours, I'm tempted to give it a try.

Unknown said...

Healthy sookhi dal. Perfect dinner with roti or paratha..

Ms. S said...

Sookhi dal is a new concept for me too...looks appetizing...

Gayathri Kumar said...

Never tried sookhi dhal. The dish is very new to me. It looks so tasty..

Srivalli said...

Sounds very interesting Jay..

sra said...

That's quite a good looking dal. I've yet to eat something made entirely of urad dal, in dal/curry form, I mean.

Suma Gandlur said...

Same at my home, no one prefers dry curries for rotis. However I have been eyeing this dish for sometime now and your version tempts me to try it.