Pages

Monday, December 06, 2010

Lentil soup


I can count on my fingers the number of times I have made soup since I started living in Chennai. The last three days have been unusually cool(for Chennai that is), windy and rainy.....and I felt that a bowl of soup would be the perfect thing to warm us up.
This is a very simple, yet creamy and hearty soup. There are no measurements because I just threw in a little bit of this and a little bit of that to come up with this.

What you need:
Moong dal(green gram dal)
Tomato
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Turmeric powder
Corriander - to garnish

Take the moong dal, tomato and garlic in a pressure cooker. Add a little bit of turmeric powder, salt and plenty of water and cook till one whistle. Reduce the heat and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Once the steam escapes, allow it to cool down a bit, and then blend until smooth and creamy. Add some more water if needed. Pour it back into the pressure cooker and let it boil. Add crushed black pepper. Garnish with corriander. Serve hot.

7 comments:

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

looks yum,delicious n amazing....lovely color...inviting me to have some...healthy n hearty

Unknown said...

sounds so nice for this cold weather.

Renu said...

yesterday it was real chill in the air and i took out my shawl:).first time in three years.

notyet100 said...

umm perfect for rainy evening

sra said...

I was toying with the idea of making this when I got back from work yesterday, but couldn't handle the idea of handling the pressure cooker.

sanjeeta kk said...

The soup looks delicious.

Chitra Amma's Kitchen said...

It is very cold here.Like to have your soup NOW!