Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Tomato biriyani


Monthly Mingle - Give Thanks

We Indians as a nation have a problem with uttering the words Thank You. Before you flame me, let me explain. It is not that we don't feel thankful....it is just that we have a problem putting it into words. We genuinely do feel the emotions associated with being thankful...our body language, our actions...all these show the other person that we truly appreciate what they are doing, but we still find it akward and uncomfortable to say it. Still don't agree?? Think back and tell me....honestly, how many times have you said these words to your mom, dad, sister, brother, best friend? Now, how many times have you felt thankful? There....I rest my case.
Meeta of WFLH made me sit up and think of all the people that I'd like to give thanks to.
I am thankful for having a loving husband who puts up with my idiosyncracies, who takes up diaper and feeding duties on weekends so I can have some extra sleep, who encourages me to make my dreams a reality and gives me every opportunity to do that.
Iam thankful for a wonderful family - my always supportive and understanding mother, my father who is a pillar of strength, my grandparents from whom I've known nothing but love, and my fantastic brother.
Iam thankful that I've been blessed with a beautiful daughter who has truly made me understand how such a tiny being can fill your heart with so much love.
Iam thankful to all the friends that I've made through life, who've helped in shaping different aspects of my personality. Every person that I've come in contact with has in some way knowingly or unknowingly contributed to my being.
Iam thankful that I found my way into the world of blogging. I thank each and every one of my blogger buddies who cares enough to let me know that they've read my blog and that they appreciate it. A special thank you to Meeta for choosing such a wonderful theme.
Iam thankful for my mistakes and failures because they have made me strive harder to become a better person.
Iam also thankful that I have a lovely home, food to eat, and above all that there are people who love and cherish me.
What could say thank you better than a simple meal lovingly prepared and served with a smile??? That's what I have done today...I've made some tomato rice. It is very easy to make...so once you are done with the cooking you have plenty of time to sit and chat with your loved ones and your family is sure to love it.

What you need:
Onion - 1, chopped
Ginger - small piece, chopped
Green chilli - 2 or 3, minced
Garlic - 1 pod, chopped
Tomato - 3, chopped very fine, or pureed
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Salt - as required
Red chilli powder - as required
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Cardamom - 4 pods
Cinnamon - small piece
Cloves - 4
Black pepper corns - 4

Soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
Powder cardamom, cinnamon, clove and peppercorns coarsely. Melt butter in a pan. Add the powdered spices, pepper, ginger, garlic, green chillies and onion. Saute until onions turn slightly brown. Now add the tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Fry for a few minutes. Add the rice and stir well. Add 1.5 cups of water and cook in a pressure cooker until one whistle. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Njoy!!!

17 comments:

Lakshmik said...

Good recipe without coconut. I have always made a paste of tomato, onions and coconut for the rice. Will try this one out.

Priya said...

Thaz so sweet of you:-)) In India we never thank in formal but as a gesture we do buy things and give them during occasions.

We are brought up livefree and more traditions and customs. Where did we have time to know about thanks?? I don't think anybody in the school taught those days.

When you feel for the person and try to do the best either in food or appreciate in what hey do, its more of thanking them.

Pretty good one with tomato rice. All food bloggies come with wonderful pics' and make us hungry:-))

Jayashree said...

Lakshmi, do let me know how it turns out if u do try it.
Priya, that's exactly what I meant...that we show our feeling through actions, rather than words. Thank u for visiting me...do stop by again.

Mythreyee said...

Nice of you for taking time to write about your family. that shows how much you care for your family and your loved ones.

Your Tomato rice recipe is a good one and a bit different from how I do. will try it this weekend. I have posted the recipe for tomato rice in my blog. thanks for the recipe.

FH said...

You are so right abt *Indians have trouble saying Thank you* lol!That's exactly what I wrote in mine:D

Tomato rice is my fav., thank you.And thank you Jay,for your frienship my dear fellow blogger!
Hugs...

jayshree said...

Nice way to Thank everyone in you life !! Thank You for the nice collection of recipes. Simple yet tasty tomatoe rice as always.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Jayashree, This was a lovely post. I also enjoyed your recipe. An honor for me to have you over.

Vani said...

Hey J, it's true. Maybe we do take people more for granted than westerners and not say thank you as often as we should. We FEEL thankful but putting it to words make all the difference, doesn't it?

Prema Sundar said...

nice write up jayashree.. and thanks for the tomato rice recipe.

Unknown said...

Beautiful!!!

Sia said...

wow jayashree, what a beautiful dish for thanksgiving:) delicious...

Seema Bhat said...

nice article jayashree ...will try your tomato rice ...looks simple and should definately go for a try..
thank you
Seema

Jayashree said...

Mythreyee, family and friends do really make a big difference, don't u think??
Appreciate the comment, Asha...and thank u for being my blogger buddy.
Jay, thx for the lovely words.
Meeta, it is always a pleasure to take part in your events.

Jayashree said...

Vani, you are absolutely right...it does mean a lot when it is put in words.
Prema, Pushpa...thank u.
Sia...welcome to my blog. Glad you liked the recipe.
Seema, thx for visiting...hope you'll stop by again.

Pooja said...

hi jayashree,
what a nice recipe for thanks giving. :)

happy thanks giving!
stau tuned
-Pooja

TNL said...

Great looking rice! and a wonderful post!

Kudos,Trupti

Prajusha said...

Nice write up. Tomato ric elooks delicious. Nice pics too.