Pages

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Sabudana kichdi


Sabudana is used in the South mainly in the form of crispies which can be fried in oil and then eaten with rice. This is the only form in which I'd come across it before. However, post marriage, my SIL's husband who is from Gujarat told me about this Khichdi. Now, I haven't eaten this anywhere else. I prepare it based on the instructions that he gave me along with a few variations that I like. So I have no idea if this is how the "authentic" version tastes.

What you need:

Sabu dana/Sago - 1 cup
Green chillies - 2-3,minced
Onion - 1 small, chopped
Potato - 1 small, peeled,cooked and chopped
Ginger - a small piece
Asafoetida - a little(optional)
Peanuts - a handful
Curry leaves, jeera,mustard seeds -for seasoning

Prep:
Soak sago in water for about 10-15 min. Drain water and keep aside.
Roast peanuts without any oil and powder them.

Then:
Heat some oil in a pan. Add jeera and mustard seeds,fry for a few seconds. Then throw in the green chillies,sliced ginger,onion and curry leaves. Stir for a minute or two. Now add asafoetida. Stir well. And then add sabudana and salt. Keep stirring well or it will turn into a glutinous lumpy mass. When the sago looks glossy and transparent, add the peanut powder, mix well and remove from heat.
Serve hot!!!



This is my entry to Nandita's Weekend Breakfast Blogging event.

2 comments:

Nimmi said...

Hi Jayshree,

Thanks for the sabudana khichdi recipe.

I had one question. Since am making this recipe today the first time, when do you add the chopped potato. You mentioned all the ingredients excepting the potato.

Do let me know. Thanks once again !!!

Cheers,

Nirmala Iyer

Jayashree said...

Hi nirmala...thank you for stopping by. You can add the potato after sauteing the onions and just before adding the sago.
Do let me know how it turns out. Hope you like it.